Facilitator Skills and Qualities
More than 5,000 skilled facilitators are a part of AmericaSpeaks‘ national and international network of professional and dedicated volunteers who serve at 21st Century Town Meetings®.
Table facilitators support small group discussions among diverse citizens and ensure all voices of participants are heard. Skills and qualities held by facilitators in the network include:
- Significant experience facilitating small-group face-to-face deliberation, building toward shared agreement while holding respectful space for difference
- Ability to focus on one’s own small group while maintaining overarching responsibility to the total assembled group
- Deep listening skills; able to hear both unique individual voices and also emergent common themes
- Comfort with diversity and emotion on many dimensions
- Awareness of one’s own thoughts, opinions and feelings with the ability transcend them to stay in a facilitation role despite any personal stake in the outcome of the conversation